The Studio School
Annual Fund Appeal 2021

Dear Community,

Last Thursday evening, Studio’s Circle of Friends gathered in celebration of our fifty years. The gym room was alive once again with people of all ages, connected to our school in many ways, and their ongoing support and generosity, spanning the decades, were as vibrant as their devotion and commitment to the essence of The Studio School.

Memories washed over me as I spoke with everyone, and the most outstanding one was how we would always gather in a circle and connect. The value of each person being seen and heard within the group was foundational. From our beginnings at Studio in 1971, I remember sitting and being a part of many groups, learning from our founders and my cherished mentors, Robert and Dolores Welber, and the power of connecting thoughts and feelings through group discussions.

Together, we saw how meaningful it is for students to sit in a circle, to speak their minds and be their authentic selves in any circumstance, sometimes including a difficult discussion. Ms. Rotter always envisioned how great it would be for humanity if we could make it possible for everyone to be part of such a circle. With supreme dedication, and an exceptional gift to reach each person and group at every stage, Ms. Rotter continues to grow and cultivate the circle.

Read the full letter

The Annual Fund Appeal provides unrestricted funds that are critical for the day-to-day operations of the school, bridging the gap between tuition and the actual cost of educating each child. In the past two years, these funds have also been used for the unexpected expenses we face related to COVID-19. These generous contributions, from our entire community—parents, trustees, alumni, grandparents, friends, and others, support all areas of the institution, including academics, the arts, teacher training and development, operations, and financial aid. Tuition alone covers about 70% of the school’s annual budget but we rely on meeting the remaining 30% through donations and fundraising events. We know that with strong vision, and community support, we can thrive through change and imagine a path forward for progress and well-being. Every contribution, small or large, helps us reach our goal.

The Studio School is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization and donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.

Donate Here:

The Annual Fund Appeal provides unrestricted funds that are critical for the day-to-day operations of the school, bridging the gap between tuition and the actual cost of educating each child. In the past two years, these funds have also been used for the unexpected expenses we face related to COVID-19. These generous contributions, from our entire community—parents, trustees, alumni, grandparents, friends, and others, support all areas of the institution, including academics, the arts, teacher training and development, operations, and financial aid. Tuition alone covers about 70% of the school’s annual budget but we rely on meeting the remaining 30% through donations and fundraising events. We know that with strong vision, and community support, we can thrive through change and imagine a path forward for progress and well-being. Every contribution, small or large, helps us reach our goal.

The Studio School is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization and donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.

Gifts of Securities
Gifts of long-term appreciated stock entitle you to an income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the stock and allow you to avoid the capital gains tax that would have applied had you sold the stock, subject to tax deduction limitations. Contributions may be made directly through brokerage accounts or by physical delivery of stock certificates and powers. Contact: egoodman@studioschoolnyc.org

Matching Gifts
Many employers will match charitable donations made by their employees. Please ask your Human Resources Department for the necessary paperwork.

CARES Act
The CARES Act allows for an “above-the-line” deduction for charitable gifts made in cash of up to $300 for those donors who do not itemize. For individual donors who itemize, the adjusted gross income (AGI) limit for cash contributions increases to 100%, up from 60% in previous years. Please consult with your tax professional for advice.